[DEMSOC-L] Fwd: Action Alert: CANCEL CASSINI ! A Call to Action -

CANCEL CASSINI !    A Call to Action - No Nukes in Space!
Robert Cherwink      May 21, 1997

Please forward, post to newsgroups, distribute freely!  Thanks!

 ----------------
                    * * * URGENT ACTION ALERT * * *
 ----------------
 ----------------
 ---  SIDEBAR:

     This article contains information and direction to additional
informational resourses on the
proposed launch of the Cassini Space Probe and its risks; and is a Call to
Action.  The primary
issue is the risk of radioactive contamination of our planet through the use
of nuclear energy in
space projects.
     ----------------------------------
URGENT!  We have until just May 27th, 1997 to respond to NASA's Draft
Supplemental
Environmental Impact Statement for the Cassini Mission
      * * * INTRODUCTION * * *

The Cassini Space Probe is scheduled for launch this October.   The rocket
will carry 72 pounds of
Plutonium Dioxide, Pu-238, the deadliest substance known by science.  NASA
maintains that the
chances of a mishap are miniscule, but is it worth the risk?  and should we
trust NASA's numbers?
Even if the launch, having its own definite risks, is successful:  The plan
is to have the rocket orbit
Venus a few times, and then "sling- shot" around the Earth towards Saturn.
It would come within
approximately 312 miles of the earth while travelling at a speed of 42,300
miles per hour during the
month of August 1999.

[361 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=4010994&hilit=CENSORED> ]

Subject: Action Alert:  CANCEL CASSINI !   A Call to Action - No Nukes in