Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Clinton, CIA, and Attorney General demonize net

 On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 18:00:42 GMT, YOELK <jkrup@shani.net> wrote:
 >> Now, as for these two little tidbits -- do you have a problem with
 >> protecting senstive/classified/top-secret information from those who
 >> would seek to acquire it through use of a computer and a modem?
 >> Do you honestly desire that advanced mililtary technology exit the
 >> United States and enter the hands of our enemies who would use it
 >> against our troops and our citizens?  Is that what you want?
 >>
 >> The first article was an interesting one about the creation of a
 >> "cyberwar" center over at the NSA to combat the infiltration of
 >> sensitive US computer systems by unauthorized parties operating inside
 >> and outside US borders.  Where is the problem with that?
 >
 >Emergency state, national security risk, are nice phrases which are used
 >to justify violations of civil liberties all over the world. Now also in the US ?
 Excuse me.  But could you identify one major civil liberty being
 infringed by the creation of a government agency designed to thwart
 the unauthorized and ILLEGAL penetration of U.S. government computer
 systems?  Do you honestly believe that you have the right to top
 secret information about the manufacture of nuclear, chemical, and
 biological weapons?  Or do you have the right to learn about top
 secret U.S. operations or operatives?  Or any other military
 information that could cause great harm to U.S. citizens, agents, or
 soldiers around the world?
 >I Don't believe there are such major risks in the Internet.
 Au contraire, mon ami.  There were literally hundreds of unauthorized
 entries into sensitive military and other government computer systems
 last year (possibly thousands, I don't have the numbers).  In one
 instance, hackers from the Netherlands penetrated a defense computer
 system and initiated searches for documents with the term "nuclear" in
 it (or something to that effect, that was the central theme).  And you
 say there are no risks to the Internet?
 >There are however other risks related to the Internet, these are political risks.
 >
 >Educated people watch less TV today and surf the net instead, less subject to the continoues
 >brainwash... now they can pick dangerous ideas and might know things they are not supposed to.
 I don't follow your reasoning here.  Are you saying that it's good
 that people are getting their hands on dangerous information?
 >The Internet isn't american but world wide organization , and many important american institutes
 >use it and can't do without it. Looks like a consipracy of the rest of the world against  US ;-8).
 Well, yes, that's obvious (if you can call it an organization).  But,
 then how are you threatened by the formation of a U.S. government
 organization tasked with defending U.S. government computer systems
 from unauthorized entry?  I don't see it.