Re: Why are they here?

*wscott@gate.net* (Scott Gibson) writes:
> On 17 May 1997 12:52:02 GMT, eflahert@garnet1.acns.fsu.edu (Edward
> Flaherty) wrote:
>

> >But that is not evidence of an abduction.
> >

> It's not proof. I do consider it evidence. Especially when you have
> highly consistent accounts coming from people all over the world.
> People who have never had contact with each other and no previous
> interest in ETs or UFOs. Part of the reason Dr. Mack decided the
> subject deserved more attention was the great number of largely
> consistent accounts.

	Did you happen to see NOVA's "Kidnapped by UFOs?"
One of the points made in that show is that Mack and other
abduction therapists "prep" their patients to let them
know what the typical abduction experience is supposed to
be like.  They are shown sketches of the aliens, given
descriptions of what others have reported and so forth.
Then under hypnosis, which is nothing more than a heightened
state of suggestion, the patient "remembers" events very
similar to those of others.

	This same phenomena is present in other therapy
experiments.  The "lost in a mall" experiment is a good
example.  Therapists take a person and suggest to them
they were lost in a shopping mall as a small child, and
then under hypnosis prod them for recollections.  The
therapist then leads them by asking just the right
questions.  Over a wide range of patients who were never,
in fact, lost in a mall as a child, the "memories" are
quite similar.

	Moreover, the process of recovering memories with
this technique produces dubious results.  Perhaps you have
heard of various cases in which this technique was used to
"recover" memories of child abuse or satanic torture, all
of which turned out to be false -- but not after innocent
people were jailed and families destroyed.  Most states
don't even permit testimony acquired through this therapy
into criminal trials anymore.  In other words, the chief
body of evidence in favor of the abduction hypothesis --
the number and sameness of the accounts -- is based on a
very questionable practice.

	What this demonstrates, I believe, is that the
similarities of the abduction memories have a plausible

[15 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=3223718&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: Re: Cult hypnotism