Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Americanisms

 Patrick Nielsen Hayden wrote:
 > While of course it's impossible to prove a negative, I flatly don't
 > believe this story, because I don't believe in a "roadside diner on
 > a reservation out West" that serves a "Happy Hunting Ground Beef
 > Burger."
 >
 > How to put it?  This is about as likely as a working-class pub in
 > Yorkshire offering a menu featuring a "Merrie Olde England Pint."
 No, it's worse.  Think about where a "Happy Hunting Ground" burger would
 come from.  Might as well call it "Corpse-meat.  I think it would be a
 bit more like, "Merrie Olde England Pint of Piss."
 A. Carol
 Feminists Against Censorship
 http://www.fullfeed.com/hypatia/censor.html
 "[La Prensa] accused us of suppressing freedom of expression.
 This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
 - Nelba Blandon, Interior Ministry of Censorship, quoted in
 the New York Times, 1984.