Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Full text of the congressional resolution on Syria

 In article <01bb6518.fd32b580$02101dcc@cindymoe.halcyon.com>, "Cynthia Moe" <cindymoe@halcyon.com> wrote:
 > > Whereas Syria has pledged publicly and privately to abide
 > > by the Taif agreement of 1989, which required that 2 years
 > > after certain Lebanese political conditions were achieved
 > > in September 1990, Syria would withdraw its armed forces
 > > stationed in Lebanon to the gateway of the Bekaa Valley
 > > with complete withdrawal occurring shortly thereafter;
 >
 > Good.
 so you approve.

 [...]
 > A lot of good those resolutions did for Lebanon!
 so you do approve of the resolutions intent, but you think they
 are ineffective, but you do approve.

 [...]
 > and we all know what happened as a result of  this strong urging.
 So you do approve but you think it is ineffective

 [...]
 > Whoppie
 I take it that you approve

 [...]
 > Duh! and this is coming to light only now?
 so you agree

 [...]
 > Yes, but do you notice how they avoided the Israeli onslaught against
 > Lebanese civilians? Lebanese civilians died, and this one-sided resolution
 > casts that aside by putting the blame on a group that does not receive its
 > orders from Lebanon, resulting in hundreds of civilian Lebanese deaths.
 Yes I noticed, so you approve but think it is incomplete.

 [...]
 > Lebanon should have been there (on principle, but of course was not
 > allowed to by Assad), but the motivation was hardly *peacemaking*, it was
 > just another Clinton foreign policy flop and an attempt to shore up the
 > Israeli PM's chances for re-election.
 I agree 100%. But the bill is punishing Syria NOT Lebanon. It is
 punishing Assad for preventing us to go. So I think you approve.

 [...]
 > Good.
 so you approve

 [...]
 > and with the implicit approval of the US, so what is this group of
 > congressmen telling us?
 I disagree. the US did criticize it but not strongly enough because
 they really needed Syria. But IF what you say is true, they are