Previous Next Index Thread

PlaneSensor

Hi,

PlaneSensors are a great concept because they recognize the device
that is used for their input. So it is possible that 3D coordinates
are used for "grabing & moving" if there is 3D device but only 2D
coordinates if there is a 2D device like a mouse.
How many of you have a 3D device? OK, not many (that's interaction
over the internet ;-)) and if so (I think) it is not supported yet
(which is ok because the people that build the VRML Browser do their best
and using a 3D input is not the 1st priority).

Now to my point!
================
There is an offset field in the PlaneSensor node to change the
position of a PlaneSensor. But what about a rotation field?
If I rotate my object that is combined with my PlaneSensor I find
no easy way (except writing a script that "adjusts" the coordinates )
to let my object move in the right direction because
the translation coordinates of my PlaneSensor are from my local
coordinate system.

It would be a GREAT HELP to HAVE a ROTATION FIELD
in a PlaneSensor that keeps track of the parent's node rotation
as is done with the offset field for the parent's node translation!

IF I AM RIGHT (please correct me if I am wrong) this aspect of an
object rotation is a gap in the VRML Specification because it
seems "natural" to me that one want to rotate an object an still
being able to grap and move it from another side!

IF I AM WRONG please show me a simple example with a rotation of
an object that can be moved using a PlaneSensor.

Thanks for your input!!
Michael

PS: I am working with CosmoPlayer! I don't know how other browsers
interprete PlaneSensors!

--- Michael PAULITSCH ---------- http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~michael/ ---

*** Please send administrative requests to <majordomo@sdsc.edu> ***