Previous Next Index Thread

No Subject

 On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Ed Faith wrote:
 > paschal wrote:
 >
 > > There are lots of ways that we could investigate this sort of thing - but
 > > we DON'T.  Why not?
 >
 > Well, I think you're skating on thin ice with this business about dowsing.
 > If this is the prime example of a phenomenon science causes us to neglect,
 > then in most eyes (I venture) you've just bolstered the case that
 > science is a wonderful thing.  In any event, I wouldn't blame this neglect
 > of dowsing on science per se at all, because the suppression of superstition
 > goes way, way back.  And scientists are known for going out on a limb.
 > Two words: cold fusion.
 Um, I think you've just proved my point.
 The tendency to believe that we know, at any given moment, whatever there
 is to know - and to reject out-of-hand as "superstition" whatever
 doesn't fit our current knowledge of the principles governing physical
 reality - *is* the "tunnel-vision" I'm referring to.
 I chose dowsing because it is a widespread and traditional technique that
 appears to exhibit a versatile principle which also shows up in a lot of
 other, less definable, "paranormal" phenomena;
 in some of its forms it lends
 itself more easily to study and experimentation.  (Dr. Rhine, at Duke
 University, back in the 'sixties, did a lot of work studying related
 things; but I'm not aware of anyone studying them under similar auspices
 since then.)
 At any rate - (and I realize it's getting far afield) - I'm suggesting that
 the scientific establishment exercises its own kind of tyranny.
 (And again, I'm not saying that this is an argument for the pm-camp; it's
 just a fact that I perceive, whenever we're talking about 'intellectual
 tyranny'.)
 I have a friend who is a microbiologist.  After twenty years in the
 field, he is so convinced that most immunization is dangerous and in
 serious error, he and his wife home-school their children to avoid
 having them immunized.  He isn't alone in feeling this way - but he and
 those colleagues who share the view, are definitely a minority at
 this point.
 While this may be more an example of a kind of "politicization" of science,
 the use of science to "authorize" mass-immunization could be seen as another
 kind of "tyranny" of the scientific establishment.
 We've done all kinds of things, on the word of "science", that have
 turned out to be disastrous in the end.  Science is not the infallible
 method of 'getting-at' reality that many people seem to think; and I
 suspect that both the method, and the scientific world-view, will evolve
 to look very different in the few centuries ahead (if we survive
 current *science*, and its errors, to live that long!)
 -Paschal
 ObBook:  Declaration of a Heretic, by Jeremy Rifkin