Re: In a major funk - Spoilered (Peter Barach)

I agree with Sierra that it s*cks to have a dx that is so
hotly debated.  I honestly don't know what to believe about
myself, although I *firmly* believe that others on this ng
"fit" all the criteria for a dissoid dx.

As for me, I'd rather be a plain ole alcoholic depressed
middle-aged fat lady.  And maybe that's exactly what I am,
and maybe my shrink is reading too much into my sudden
mood swings and little trances and stuff.

That's what I think, most of the time.

But one thing I'm *really* grateful for is my shrink has
never, *ever* pressed me to do hypnosis or EMDR or other
odd stuff to "retrieve" memories.  He remains neutral to
the weird little flashbacks I'm getting, and he maintains
that he has to learn more before he can draw any sort of
conclusion.

I love him for that.  He really, really, really thinks I'm DID,
but he does *not* try to push my memories of anything.
And he even tells me that it sounds to him like I *wasn't*
ab*sed when I was a little kid, but he still feels like I'm
DID anyway, and he can't quite figure it out, and neither
can I, but we're trying to put the pieces together as a
team, as honestly and openly as we can.

And I think that's what Peter means when he talks about
taking a "neutral" stance toward someone's memories.  It
doesn't really matter *what* happened; it just matters
that you get to feel better about your life.

I think.

swiv

[end of message ... text also available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=3280165&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: 3W- BG