Re: Cult hypnotism

In article <337f2875.1497035@snews2.zippo.com>,
kingsword <kingsword@greenheart.com> wrote:
>On 17 May 1997 11:03:56 -0700, dclxvi@best.com (joshua geller) wrote:

>>imagine how a discussion of physics, or history would go if one of the
>>participants stopped talking and tried to sell a book wherein he had
>>discussed some of the matter at hand. people would look at him wierd,
>>just like I'm looking at you wierd.

>Not very wierd. If we were having a discussion about  Cultural
>Revitalization Movements and I suggested that you read Anthony
>Wallace on the subject, my learned collegues would concur and probably
>think you a bit "weird' if you insisted that background reading on a
>special topic is not necessary.

I would hope to be dead and in my grave long before I had any discussion
like this. what exactly might a 'cultural revitalization movement' be when
it's at home with its friends?

>				  Any discussion of an academic nature
>presupposes that certain basic works in the field have been read and
>understood. My 1978 GNOSTICA article   *Magick and Hypnosis* was the
>first to define  this issue.

maybe to analyze it and put it into the terms of modern psychology. was
this a good thing? it is, at least, a thing. more words.

>			There was  even a German edition of it.
>It is far longer (5000 words) than anything workable in a USENET
>discussion format.

5000 words is not that long.

>			We might call it  necessary  background study.
>This is why I'm offering it to those who are interested. Because
>you've made such an issue out of it, I will send you a copy gratis on
>the condition that you read it and review it for the group; fair
>enough?

I will certainly read anything sent to me for free, unless the prose is
truly appalling. my address is:

joshua geller
PO Box 311
Mountain View, CA
		94042

I might write a line or two about it if I feel like it. no gaurantees.

josh

[end of message ... text also available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=3266439&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: Re: In a major funk - Spoilered  (Peter Barach)