Re: "Modern fighting systems" (was Brazilian jiu jitsu claims)

FRANCIS BURGOS wrote:

>  Most traditionalists close their minds to the fact that times have
> changed, and that their art must change accordingly ...

You mean they haven't?  I have never seen a makiwara outside of some
books, but i have done plenty of training on air shields and focus pads,
and that's in a TRADITIONAL karate class!

> ... Let's take kata
> training as an example ...

As if you _really_ know anything about them.

> ... What can anyone use a kata for? They  have no
> physical fitness value, for an exercise to have any physical fitness value
> it must overload a muscle, which katas certainly don't do ...

You never heard of Sanchin.  :)  And regualr katas will if you tesne your
shoulders too much.

> ... besides they
> provide no cardiovascular benefits because to have it they must bring ones
> heart rate to a minimum of 70% above the resting rate, which they certainly
> do not.

You must be a world class athelete, then, because I have been using kata
for cardiovascular trainining for four years now!  The trick is to find a
pace where you end up in the proper trainining range.  For me, that has
alweays been a bit less than full-speed/full-power.  And yes, this refers
to doing a series of kataa without stopping in between for longer tha a
few seconds.

[26 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=3285219&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: Re: Cult hypnotism