[07-03-95] CEIV: Alien Abduction, UFOs, and the Conference at M.I.T.

Sometime after the year 2000, when new-millennium
fever recedes and everybody stops gazing expectantly
at the sky, we may look back on one of the stranger
fixations of the `90s - the alien abduction phenomenon
 - and laugh.

Assuming, of course, the aliens in question don't
touch down and conquer us first.  Then, as we shuffle up
the flying saucer ramps in shackles, our Earth a vanquished,
smoking husk, we can tell ourselves: They were right.  If
only we had listened.

Some people, including C.D.B.  Bryan, are listening
closely.  Mr. Bryan, author of "Close Encounters of the
Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs, and the Conference at
M.I.T.," joins a growing list of respectable academics
and writers now giving this bizarre subject a long, serious
look.

What does he find?  He won't say, exactly.  Like a tour
guide, Mr. Bryan leads strictly by narrative.  The man
who wrote histories of the National Geographic Society
and the National Air and Space Museum shows and tells,
but keeps his opinions to himself.

Mr.  Bryan is nothing if not a dutiful surveyor of this
psychiatric otherworld, where people live tormented by
the belief that they have been plucked from their homes
or cars by thin gray creatures with huge, lidless eyes
and put through gruesome medical procedures.

He takes us along to the unprecedented 1992 alien-abduction
study conference at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
an event co-chaired by Harvard University professor and
psychiatrist John E.  Mack. He interviews the field's top
researchers.  He makes contact with abductee guru Budd Hopkins
and watches astounded as two Maryland women, "Carol" and
"Alice," recount terrifying episodes under hypnosis.

He brings a lively sense of wonder and humor to the enterprise
and introduces us to some remarkable people.  But through it
all he never really answers the question of what he himself
believes.

"Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind" substitutes diligence
for daring. It takes no risks.  The caution might be advisable
 - witness the plight of fellow inquirer Mr.  Mack, a key figure
in Mr.  Bryan's text.  Mr.  Mack wrote the 1994 best seller,
"Abduction," in which he declared himself a believer in the
truth of his patients' incredible accounts.  He is now the

[93 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=3156001&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: Re: Hypnosis Images Wanted