Re: Unfortunate misunderstanding

In article <xx571479-1405971022040001@dial011.future.net>,
Cognitee <xx571479@anon.penet.fi> wrote:

>    The real big problem is:  There is so much ignorance out there among
>"therapists", many believe they are doing "therapy" when they are doing

So, how do you define 'therapy'? A treatment to eliminate or mitigate
the symptoms associated with a disorder? A treatment to eliminate a disorder?
A treatment to enhance some personality feature, sort of the equivalent to
breast enhancement, and perhaps could be called 'cosmetic personality therapy'?
A treatment to develop personality features, sort of prosthetic personality
therapy?

>counseling.  They contaminate the needed cooperative, mutual relationship
>needed with the client for good treatment.  Traditionally, the
>psychoanalysts have been the most improperly "authoritative" and
>pretentious.  But, it occurs with others as soon as word use becomes loose

Sorry, it may be that psychoanalysts are authoritative and pretentious but
the the behaviorists don't seem to be slouches in these categories either...
I fact I'll claim the psychoanalysts are like catholic priests in protestant
country, highly ignorable, while the behaviorists are becoming next to
Calvin in saintliness.

>and the therapy/couseling distinction is blurred.  This is why this is an
>important issue.

The classic 'couch' setting was atributed by Freud to a legacy from his
early use of hypnosis, and later his dislike at being stared at for 8 hours
a day... Things may have changed in terms of the dialogue between client
and the analyst, but the stereotype is a lot of 'uh hu, I see, go on',
which I see as rather non-authoritarian in nature, and sure beats some
therapist yelling into the ear of the scared witless patient 'You must scream
louder if you wish to stay in the same place'...

The authoritarian aspect of analysis, and the people who like this system can
object, clarify or expand, is that the analyst does 'hold the cards' as it
were to who 'suffers', mostly everyone, and when therapy is completed, or at
least at an end, mostly never. But then that's pretty much the picture of life
as well, it's not over till you're dead, and while alive there's always
room for improvement...

But that's true for any therapy system, I have yet to see conditions listed
which a therapist would use to say to a client, 'Sorry, no matter what you
think, or feel on the subject, there is just nothing wrong with you
psychologically'.

[end of message ... text also available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=2916020&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: Re: The Rolls Are in the Flour, Laughing.