Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Helms/Burton law

 Hello Rathwig,
 I said:
      >>To attribute to the totalitarian dictatorship that rules
      Cuba with an iron hands the rights which accrue to the
      citizens it keeps in bondage, is a travesty.  It is like if
      your house was >broken into by a group of thugs and you and
      your loved ones were >kept prisoners, then, when faced with
      those that want to free you >and your family, the thugs were
      to claim your rights as the owner >of your house for
      themselves.  Lets get real here!<<
 Then you said:
      >>This has nothing to do with thugs or hime invasions, this
      has to do with Law, and the rule of Law. Whether you like a
      particular regime or not does not matter one iota when you
      are discussing States  inalienable right to sovereignity.
 Now I say: (This is getting complicated):)
 The point I made was that for a State to claim sovereignty it
 must do so because it derives its rights from the freely given
 consent of those it represents, and  not from holding a gun to
 their head.  To do otherwise is to encourage a return to the law
 of the jungle, and sow the seeds for future wars. The State is
 not a piece of dirt, mountains, rivers etc, it is people.  To
 think otherwise, is only arrogance.
 Your analogy about the United States seem outdated, and not on
 point. The revolution that took place in the United States was
 one carried out to establish a system of government in which the
 PEOPLE would have a right to "life liberty and the pursuit of
 happiness", it recognized and affirmed that  "people are endowed
 by their creator with certain inalienable rights".  These
 concepts were latter enshrined in a constitution, that had as its
 cornerstone a bill of rights to protect the individual. That is
 not the situation in Cuba. I am not challenging the right of the
 Cuban people to be free and sovereign, I am challenging the right
 of a totalitarian dictator to claim for himself the rights that
 accrue to those he controls by the use of the gun, the stick, the
 jail, the mental wards, and the threat of exile.
 It is to inmaterial to me the reason why a country does that
 which is morally right (and to punish those that would trade
 and/or profit with property stolen by a thug is moral in my
 book), I am satisfied that it does, and it escapes me the reason
 why those that should know better as they enjoy of that which the
 Cuban people are denied, are willing to participate in profiting
 from their enslavement.
 As Henry Ward Beecher said, "A law is valuable not because it is
 a law, but because there is right in it."

 AGSAIL@AOL.COM