Re: Poetry, Time Future(s) (fwd)Re: Poetry, Time Future(s) (fwd)

Kwang wrote:
"I believe poetry in the US will have to contend with the fact of its
insularity.  Poetry ought to compete with the most spectacular of our
arts:
film, t.v. internet....not so much in terms of content, I guess, than in
terms
of stylistic attitude.  Personally, I'd like to see more poetry than can
chart
metaphoric connections, cross (genre) boundaries if you will, between a
show
like MASH,  Calif's English only laws, and...perhaps a domestic
narrative
where a child asks why 'Orientals' talk so funny..."

I think this is right. We'll see combinations of genre bending,
tone-shifting, and the mixing of so-called popular and high culture(s).
Albert Goldbarth comes to mind, a sort of high-ocatane High Modernist,
but watch for Claire Bateman's forthcoming _Friction_ from Eighth
Mountain Press (Portland OR) in which Frankenstein, the psychic friends
and MacDonalds get mixed up in what seem to me completely new ways.
 --

Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts

"To think, not to dream, that is our duty."
      Van Gogh to his brother

[end of message ... text also available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=2193383&hilit=CULTURE+FUTURE> ]

Subject: FYI [RRE->CITS->]