forests of champions: global green usforests of champions: global green us

~~ written  9 pm  4/30/97  by David Yarrow <dyarrow@igc.org> ~~

May Day, 1997

Global Green USA
4223 Glencoe Ave.  Suite B-103
Marina del Rey, CA  90292

Dear Friends of Gaia,

I salute the bold enterprise you have begun: to repair, heal and
regenerate our abused and bruised planet.  Our challenges in the next
century and millennium are immense.  May your work prosper.

I write to tell you of a new and necessary initiative which should be
a primary Global Green strategy.  The Champion Tree Project provides
the means and the genes to reforest Earth.

Trees are anchors of strong, stable, healthy ecosystems.  A primary
challenge of Earth repair and ecosystem regeneration is to restore
the balance between open land and forests.  Not only to halt
deforestation, but to initiate reforestation.

Trees aren't just economic commodities as timber, pulpwood and
veneer.  Many produce unique foods and medicines.  Their deep roots
mine minerals from subsoil to produce leaves to decay into rich,
fertile topsoil.  They shield soil from hard rain, hot sun and high
wind to provide cool, shady, moist habitat for herbs, shrubs,
insects, birds, and other animals.  Forests are a primary means to
remove carbon dioxide, release oxygen, filter pollutants, and
regulate moisture in air.  Soil, trees and atmosphere are an
integrated whole.  Earth achieves its highest biodiversity and
productivity when sheltered under a canopy of climax forest.

Plants made it possible for humans to be here on Earth.  If we don't
improve the quality of life for trees on this planet, it soon won't
be possible for us to live here either.

A Champion Tree is the largest -- often oldest -- of its variety.  In
the USA, American Forests, a non-profit association, keeps a
"National Register of Big Trees."  In addition, most states keep
their own State Champion lists.  The 1996 National Register lists 842
National Champions in America, by state and by species.  National
Champions are scored by adding height in feet, to girth in inches 4.5
feet above ground, plus 25% of crown spread.

Michigan nurseryman David Milarch is concerned these big old

[177 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=80572&hilit=CULTURE+CULTURES+FUTURE> ]

Subject: *** Lobby Digest *** V2 #110