Previous Next Index Thread

MEME - Mother of All Surreal Debates

Sent from: redwood@hitl.washington.edu (Aaron Delwiche)

> The program was a special PBS broadcast of "William F. Buckley's
> Firing Line" in the format of a dense, intelligent, surreal, two-hour
> debate on the recent signing of the Communications Decency Act.
>
> Debate teams were comprised of the EFF's Barlow/Dyson and the ACLU's
> Ira Glasser versus the infamous Buckley and the truly evil Arianna
> Huffington (and geek-pundit pals).
>
> The debate is moderated by Michael Kinsley of CNN's Crossfire.

Barlow, Dyson, Buckley, and Huffington are all libertarian
conservatives.

Arianna Huffington is a senior fellow of Newt Gingrich's Progress
and Freedom Foundation (PFF).  Esther Dyson was a co-author of the
PFF's Magna Carta for Cyberspace.  John Perry Barlow has stated
that, when it comes to the Internet, he and Gingrich have no
disagreements.  Buckley is a guest-columnist on the PFF's web site.

Financial backers of the PFF include:  AT&T, Intel, Bell South, Cox
Cable, Turner Broadcasting, Lockheed, and General Electric.  (source:
NEWSDAY, 1/29/95, p.A5)

Sounds like a pretty one-sided debate to me...

Aaron Delwiche
redwood@halcyon.com