Previous Next Index Thread

EVENT - pxn to speak SXSW Multimedia Festival

Sent from: pacoid@fringeware.com (P Nathan)

Hey Kids!

It's time for that great yearly event here in Austin, known far and
wide as South By Southwest. Down here in Texas, we spell that "SXSW".

This year's event features the burgeoning Film Festival (look for work
by FWR's Wiley Wiggins, and also Bruce Sterling), the hallowed Music
Festival (look for Sincola performance by FWR's Rebecca Cannon) and
the up-and-coming Multimedia Festival.

Yours truly (PXN, moderator of the FringeWare email list & FWR editor)
will be speaking on a lively panel forum entitled "Social Implications
of Living Online", from 3:30-5:00pm on Monday, 11 Mar 96, in the Austin
Convention Center, and will be "mentoring" on Tuesday afternoon. For
details, see: http://monsterbit.com/sxsw/directory.html

You can bet that experiences gathered from the years of this email
list will weave into our discussions :) Other panelists speaking
include:

       * Mark Dery, writer for Wired, Mondo 2000, Rolling Stone,
NYT, Adbusters, Village Voice, and author of _Flame Wars_ and
_Escape Velocity_.

       * Henry Mills, of The Walker Percy Internet Project, at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/wpercy

       * Ted Kircher, of Information Age Consulting - who will be
moderation the panel.

----

SXSW charges a hefty $250 for entry to the MM Fest, but much of the
Film Fest can be viewed by the public, and the Music Fest is the
best party Austin ever has -- and highly recommended.

----

Also, the very same Mark Dery will be speaking at the local
Borders bookstore, on Monday 11 Mar 96 at 1:00pm, followed
by a book-signing for his latest title _Escape Velocity_

	Borders
	10225 Research Blvd
	Austin TX 78759,
	ask for Anne Marie, 512-795-8410, or 795-9553.

Markdery sez: "Wave your cigarette lighter, and I'll do
'Radar Love' for encore."

-pxn.