Previous Next Index Thread

CDA - Gandhian Resistance to CDA??

Sent from: mjmc@whitepine.com (MJ McEvoy)

This was sent to me by freinds at WORT-FM, a community radio station in
Madison, WI
who are becoming more active in this.
It sounds like a good plan.

Mike

>Sent-From: gazissax@best.com (Joel and Lynn GAzis-SAx)
>Date: Fri, 09 Feb 96 20:42:34 GMT
>
>Permission to repost granted.
>
>THOUGHTS ON GANDHIAN RESISTANCE TO THE CDA RIDER
>
>The Son of Communications Decency Act presents us with a perfect opportunity
>for putting Gandhian principles to work.  This short article quickly covers a
>series of relevant actions.
>
>1.)  Nothing you do should be anonymous.  If you choose to post nudity or
>other material, do it in your own name.  You want to invite prosecution!
>Anonymous postings and the flow of material through them are easy to stop.
>Tens of thousands of normal postings from sites all over the country are not.
>
>2.)  Should the government start prosecuting individuals, do not be cowed into
>withholding material.  Keep posting what you've been posting.
>
>3.)  Seek out pieces in technical violation of the law instead of blatant
>pornography.  A few examples:  pictures of works of art such as the Venus de
>Milo; human rights accounts of the rapes in Bosnia (much of Amnesty
>International's materials are now "indecent" under the new law -- how do we
>communicate the horror?); quotations from online literature, especially
>classics; birth-control information; pro-Life material; AIDs awareness
>material; anthropological studies on incest and circumcism; etc.  Post
>comments to newsgroups and set up web pages with this material.
>
>4.)  If you set up a protest web-page, please let me know.  I will not link
>pornography, but if it is a valuable page (like those mentioned above), I will
>place it at:
>
>   http://www.best.com/~gazissax/silence/shame.html
>
>5.)  If you are prosecuted, let the rest of us know.  Many net citizens will
>be willing to help pay for your defense and a few lawyers might come forward
>to help you on a pro bono basis.
>
>The main idea is to flood the government with SO MANY cases that enforcement
>of the law becomes impossible.  This is a stupid law and it calls for
>provoking the government into stupid actions.  Many in the FCC are probably
>sympathetic to us and may initiate prosecution for no other reason than to put
>the law to a well-deserved constitutional test.  Do not consider the FCC your
>enemy.  Give them lots of evidence and force them to take action.
>
>Regards,
>Joel GAzis-SAx

>Joel and Lynn GAzis-SAx     Main email:  gazissax@best.com
>lynn@elan.com               http://www.best.com/~gazissax/
>gazissax@netcom.com         Visit Alsirat:
>jsax@igc.apc.org            http://www.best.com/~gazissax/alsirat.html
>The Marx Brothers@Darkweb (Joel)                Whoopi@Darkweb (Lynn)

// WhitePine Consulting  http://www.whitepine.com
// PO Box 721            info@whitepine.com
// Madison, WI 53701     voice +1.608.277.5540   TDD +1.608.277.5544
// Providing LINUX and GNU support for small business and non-profits