Cu Digest, #9.30, Wed 16 Apr 97 - Responses to Cokie RobertsFile 1--Responses to Cokie Roberts' column on the Net and government

Source -  fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu

[Hayek has it right -- we shouldn't fetishize democracy. Democracy is at
best a means to a freer society, not a guarantee of one. Under the weight
of a homogenous majority, a democracy can be more oppressive than a benign
dictatorship. Instead, we should pursue liberty as a goal. -Declan]

Date--Fri, 11 Apr 97 20:08:00 DST
From--"Halpert, James - DC" <jhalpert@pipermar.com>

This column is remarkably unfair -- at its core an elaborate bait and
switch.  Petitioning the government over the Net has nothing to do with
cyber-stalking or cyberporn -- and is a considerable leap away from
electronic town hall referenda.

Whatever the merits of instant electronic referenda, giving the public an

[633 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=04_1997&mid=3083018&hilit=BRAIN+FEEDBACK> ]

Subject: alt.self-improve FAQ (part 2)