Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Choosing cookware

 macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) wrote:
 >No one metal is ideal for all kinds of cooking.  Slow cooking is best
 >done in enameled cast iron (such as Le Creuset).  Delicate sauces are
 >best done in stainless-lined copper (such as Bourgeat).  Boiling in
 >large quantities of water (corn, lobster, ...) can be in just about
 >anything; cheap light aluminum in particular will work fine, although
 >it won't last very long.  Heavy aluminum is better, although stainless
 >looks nicer.
 >
 >If your goal is aesthetic, you might look into Alessi's cookware set.
 >Each piece is made in a different, and appropriate, metal.  They were
 >designed by leading chefs in collaboration with Richard Sapper,
 >Alessi's top designer.  They should cook very well, and they look
 >great, but they are very expensive.
 >
 >If your goal is strictly culinary, I would go down to a commercial
 >kitchen supply place, and get some copper-bottomed stainless
 >saucepans, some extra-heavy aluminum skillets lined with Silverstone,
 >a couple of aluminum stockpots, and so on.
 >
 >	-s
 I will have to admit, most respondents have an advantage over me, since I
 live in the middle of a desert with nary a commerical kitchen supply
 store in sight. But you are correct about needing different kinds of
 cookware. If looking for all around use I'd suggest purchasing stainless
 steel pans with an aluminum core. Stainless steel holds up well, doesn't
 react to ingredients and heats evenly. The aluminum core helps provide
 quick heating to help things start cooking.
 Silverstone lineed cookware would be nice, especially some of the top of
 the line brands, but I wouldn't waste my money on cheap Silverstone
 cookware. The coating lasts a short time and is gone. I'd stick with
 stainless steel and spray the pan with a non-stick coating spray (Pam)
 instead. I've done this for years and it works.
 Mary

with word 'help' in message body                    netnews@sift.stanford.edu