Previous Next Index Thread

Re:Series Finales: Missed Opportunities

 > : spooon@aol.com (Spooon) wrote:
 > :
 > : >OK people, new thread.
 > :
 > : >How would you have ended various shows differently

    Bienvenidos Spoon ( finish running away w/ Dish?),
          How about a finale that laid an egg? The most
 annoying one, I thought was "Family Ties" finale. It had Alex
 leaving his family to go work on Wall Street. Big deal.
 Nothing else was resolved so what was the point of having one?
     Here's the one I would have had:
       Alex is frantically looking for a executive job after
 his (finally) fed-up parents tell him they're kicking him out
 as they are sick of all his constant put-downs and if he
 thinks he's SOO smart and they're not, he can support himself!
      In the finale, Stephen accepts a job of being a senior
 manager for a science and learning cable channel that's
 headquartered in the town.
       Elysse has been hired to restore the  aging downtown
 warehouse district into a trendy contemporary pedistrian
 mall.
      Mallory has been hired by a top Paris fashion designer to
 become a full partner. She worries about leaving Nick but then
 it turns out that. .
      Nick has been commissioned to paint the Eiffel Tower with
 portraits of all the notable French from Charlemagne to
 Catherine Deneurve so that will take him a few years while
 Mallory gets established and, as they'll each be independently
 wealthy , they get married before the show ends before they
 jet to Paris.
       Jennifer gets a lucrative recording contract and is able
 to convince the studio to have her produce her own original
 songs right in her own home.
       Andrew reads up on the complete history of the U S and
 as a result declares to Alex that he is totally renouncing his
 "conservative" beliefs.
      So with all his family becoming phenomenally successful
 and <he> heading for homelessness and unemployment after a
 promising academic start, Alex decides to fly to NYC to
 interview with the only company to return his calls- the I H
 Conglomerate. He makes his desperate plea to the unseen CEO
 and President who gets him to accept $1000 a month at 60 hours
 a week <far> less than he originally thought acceptable and
 would have to work for much longer hours but as this is the
 <only> job Alex has gotten an offer on and he's due to be
 thrown out, he desperately accepts but then asks the CEO if he
 can recommend an affordable place for him to live. At which
 point the CEO turns around in his high-backed chair and props
 his feet on the desk and declares,
 "It's me ,Skippy! My real name is Irvin Handelman and while
 you and the rest were thinking I was a total loser, I've put
 together one of the top 20 companies in the nation! "
    "Skip-p-py? " Alex nervously stammers," Y-y-your in charge
 of the I H Conglomerate? "
     "That's right. And I'll let you stay at my 5th Avenue
 townhouse for $500  a month. You can't afford anywhere else on
 your salary! "