Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Coaster Enthusiasts -- who can figure them out?!?

 "William J. Buckley, Jr." <buckley@powdml.enet.dec.com> wrote:
 >---------------------------------32278301899129
 >Watching the ranting and ravings in this newsgroup from the sidelines
 >for the last 3 months has prompted me to start this string.  I believe
 >it should, in the least, be interesting to see what the "guilty" have
 >to say about it?!
 >---
 >Q:  WHAT is it that Coaster Enthusiasts WANT?!?
 >Case in Point -- Enthusiasts seemingly endlessly complain about coasters
 >not being "wild" or "thrilling" enough.  They issue post after post to
 >parks to remove trim brakes, add grease, and build faster/wilder rides.
 >In 1996, Cedar Point debuts MANTIS, one of THE most *intense* steel
 >roller coasters on this planet!  Did it satisfy?  Apparently not.
 >Most people have done NOTHING but COMPLAIN about the coaster since
 >it's public debut, touting it is "too wild for them."
 >Case in Point -- Enthusiasts lament about how they long for the
 >'coasters of old'.  Wishingly, they say "Bring back the Harry Traver
 >coasters!"
 >In 1996, Hersheypark debuts the WILDCAT, a coaster directly out of the
 >1920s -- the only items missing are the manual brakes and the
 >single-axel articulating trailered cars!  Did it satisfy?  Apparently
 >not.  Most people *I* have held conversations with about the WILDCAT
 >have remarked with surprisingly blase remarks about the ride.
 >Any any rec.roller-coaster readers can more effectively help me
 >grasp the psyche of the average Roller Coaster Enthusiast, I would
 >be greatly appreciative.
 >Case in Point -- Enthusiasts
 >---------------------------------32278301899129
 >Happy rails,                                        ....
 >Buck                                             .++++++++.\
 >--                      .+++.                 .+++++++++++++++.\
 >      ...             .+++++++.             .+++++++++++++++++++++.\
 >    .+++++.         .+++++++++++.          .+++++++++++++++++++++++++++.
 >  .+++++++++.     .++++++    William J. Buckley, Jr.    +++++++++++++++++++.
 >+++++++++++++...++++++++  buckley@powdml.enet.dec.com  ++++++++++++++++++++++.
 >-----------------------------  CoastrBuck@aol.com   ---------------------------
 >-----  Support an American Tradition ... RIDE MORE ROLLER COASTERS !!!!!  -----
 >Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own.  They are not expressed on
 >behalf of, nor are they associated with, my employer Digital Equipment Corp. or
 >any specific non-for-profit organization I have affiliation with.
 >=1A=1A=1A=1A=1A=1A=1A=1A=1A
 >---------------------------------32278301899129--
 Buck,
 I couldn't agree wiith you more!  I'm sick and tired of hearing about the
 complaining about Manits, which is by far one of the finest coasters ever
 built.  I suggest to anyone who doesn't like this coaster to take a good hard
 look and try to figure out exactly WHY you ride coasters in the first place!
 As for the Wilcat, I loved it also...without out a doubt a top 10 woodie.  As
 I've been saying for weeks, when trying out a new coaster, especially a
 woodie, take morning/night, dry/wet, and even rides on more then one
 day when judging a coaster.  Many of the great woodies have more then
 one personality and it takes several rides to find out its full potential.
 The Wildcat is a great example of this.  When we rode this at night it
 delivered a very "wild" ride loaded with airtime in both front and back, but
 the back really came alive at night.  My only complaint with the Wildcat is