Fringe Ware Daily

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: concentrated ownership of US mass media

Article: soc.culture.japan.53459
First 20 lines:
 In article <3k62tq$gnv@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
 tanaka@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu (TANAKA Tomoyuki) writes:
 > i've noticed how homogeneous (monolithic) US mass media is compared to
 > Japanese mass media.  for example, on the US television you only see
 > American (or English-language) movies.  on Japanese TV you often see
 > programs in various European and sometimes Asian languages (subtitled
 > or bilingual).

 I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thinks this way about
 American Media.  I was able to view movies and TV programs from a
 number of different nations and cultures when I was in China.  However,
 it is quite difficult to do the same in U.S.
 I am also a Japanese anime fan.  Anime is willing to adaptd stories
 from any culture ever existed, whereas American media has never been
 able to do so.
 > Americans can get news (the O.J.Simpson trial) from CNN and the TIME
 > magazine, entertain themselves watching James Bond on TBS.
 > but CNN, TIME, and TBS are all owned by Ted Turner.
 >      (doesn't this remind you of George Orwell's "1984"?)

Original from: solaris.cc.vt.edu --> soc.culture.japan.53459

Home | Main Index of Fringe Ware Daily | Thread Index of Fringe Ware Daily