Previous Next Index Thread

Re: AFMP--Popken/AE, Pt 2

 On Jun 25, 1996 07:55:42 in article <Re: AFMP--Popken/AE, Pt 2>,
 'itsmine@med.unc.edu (Greg Popken)' wrote:

 >aeinc@usa.pipeline.com() wrote:

 >[...]
 >Greg Popken Wrote:
 >>>
 >>>We are not dealing in false absolutes.  We are dealing in human lives.
 >>>Yes prevention can play a key role in helping people.  But prevention
 >>>can not help everyone.
 >>
 >>Would heart disease be the # 1 killer of Americans if we consumed low
 fat,
 >>low cholest., high fiber diets coupled with exercise and stress
 >>reduction???
 >>
 >No, probably not.  But who among us knows that this is a healthy diet?

 Agreed--there must be MUCH more in the way of proper education...but would
 the meat/dairy industry really allow this since the overall dietary trend
 is to move away from animal products...

 >Most everyone is quite aware if it.  But short of outlawing certain
 >eating habits all we can do is educate people.   That will go a long
 >way to stopping the problem.  However, it will not work in all cases.
 >And we still have an obligation to help these people.

 Agreed again--but the issue is, how??  WHat consitutes the most efficacious
 use of our ltd. research $$??

   Just because
 >someone didn't put on their protective eyeware before using a drill is
 >no reason to deny them ammelioration from their suffering.
 >
 >>And the implimentation of the prevention
 >>>necessary is impossible.

 Well, all of this is very new and most of us are very resistant to
 chnage--esp. in re: to something as personal as food choices.  The
 attitudes will have to die out--either via radical changes in lifestyle or
 naturally...

 We have proven that with HIV.