Previous Next Index Thread

Re: PlaneSensor

Michael Paulitsch wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Rikk Carey wrote:
>
> > Michael Paulitsch wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Hirohisa,
> > > Hi Uma,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the confusion. If you try this piece of code you
> > > will realize that the Sphere will not move along the rotated
> > > coordinate system because the coordinates created by the
> > > PlaneSensor have a fixed Z value.
> > >
> > > [example deleted...]
> > >
> > > I want to go around an object rotate the planeSensor of that object
> > > according to the position of the avatar and I want to be able to
> > > move the object like if I had PlaneSensor perpendicular to the line
> > > of sight.
> > >
> > > The problem: I can't use a SphereSensor because this is not implemented
> >
> > What the heck does this have to do with a SphereSensor?
>
> Sorry, I mixed something up! Of course it has nothing to do with a
> SphereSensor!
>

> > I would try combining a PlaneSensor with Billboard (if you want it
> > to face the viewer all the time).  I would first rotate the sensor
> > from the XZ plane to the XY plane (so that it stands up).
> > I haven't tried this out or thought about it much, but am
> > confident that you can do what you want (if I understand
> > what you want).
>
> That's exactly what I have done but this doesn't alter the fact that
> one has to write a script with matrix calculation just because
> he wants his PlaneSensor to be a little bit rotated!

You don't have to write a script for simple use of the PlaneSensor
(even cases in which it is rotated).  Unfortunately, I am
busy on the next revision of the spec (and getting ready for
VRML97) and thus cannot write an example until after next week.

Anyone care to try?  :-)  (remember there's no scripts allowed!)

--
Rikk Carey                                        rikk@best.com
415-969-5910       VRML 2.0: http://vrml.sgi.com/moving-worlds/