CALL FOR ENTRIES

"ART ON THE NET"

The MACHIDA CITY MUSEUM OF GRAPHIC ARTS in Tokyo, and THE ART ON THE
NET EXHIBITION COMMITTEE will begin an online art exhibition from
July 27, 1997 to March 31, 1998.

In our third "ART ON THE NET" Exhibition, we will explore the
artistic possibilities of VRML, Virtual Reality Modeling
Language. You are invited to send your original VRML work via the
Internet. The theme this year is "Japan in the Future".

Board of jurors representing various countries will select Grand
Prize, Silver Prize, and Bronze Prize. Those who have been selected
will receive 300,000yen, 200,000yen and 100,000yen respectively.

The 5 jurors are:

Tetsuo Kogawa(Japan): Media critic, Professor of Communications at
Tokyo Keizai University, and guest curator of this exhibition;

Hank Bull (Canada): Director of the Western Front, media artist;

Oliver Hockenhull (Canada)
Filmmaker, Net Theorist, Fellow of the Banff Centre for the Arts;

Abe Mark Nornes (USA): Assistant Professor at the University of
Michigan, Program in Film and Video;

Bernie Roehl(Canada): Senior Software Developer, Electrical and Computer
Engineering Dept. at University of Waterloo. Author and VRML expert.

The DEADLINE to accept the work is July 7.

We are waiting for your entries.

Application Procedure

1 - We will accept VRML work made with any hardware or
software, as long as it can be distributed on the Internet.

2 - The theme of the exhibition is "Japan in the Future."

3 - Entries to Art of the Net are limited to works that have not
been publicly released. Therefore, artworks which have been
previously placed on the Internet, or appeared in other media, may
not be entered. Winners may have their awards revoked if it is
discovered that their work had been entered in other contests.

4 - The maximum size of each work must be less than 1MB,
including texture map images.

5 - Links to other sites may be included but will not be considered
by the jury.

6 - If desired, applicants may insert their credits on each work.

7 - Acceptable formats are VRML 1.0 and 2.0., so the file name
must be named ********.wrl.

8 - The applicant can enter only one work.

9 - The applicant will be given a directory and she/he will be asked
to upload the work to it by FTP.

10 - The deadline to send your complete work is July 7, 1997.

11 - We will select the Grand Prize, Silver Prize, and Bronze
Prize.
             The Grand Prize is 300,000 yen.
             The Silver Prize is 200,000 yen.
           And the Bronze Prize is 100,000 yen.

12 - After a preliminary screening, selected works will be shown
on our site, and in the museum theatre on monitors.

13 - The applicants who are selected for the show retain copyrights
of their work. However, the museum will be permitted to print,
broadcast and display electronically for this exhibition with proper
credits.

14 - The applicant is entirely responsible for the use of
authorized/non-authorized images in her/his work. Any and all
matters relating to copyright claim belong to the applicant.

15 - The coordination and curatorship of this exhibition are the
responsibility of the MACHIDA CITY MUSEUM OF GRAPHIC
ARTS, and ART ON THE NET EXHIBITION COMMITTEE.
16 - Entry of the "ART ON THE NET 1997 : An Experiment of
the Internet" means total acceptance of the present rules.

17 - Omitted cases shall be resolved by the guest curator of this
exhibition, and curator of MACHIDA CITY MUSEUM OF
GRAPHIC ARTS, and the jury.

THE APPLICATION FORM

* YOUR NAME

* YOUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS