Previous Next Index Thread

"Free" - Telugu Paluku -Souvenir of 10th TANA Conference (repost)))

 A few remaining copies of 'Telugu Paluku', the souvenir of
 the 10th TANA Conference are being made available to SCIT
 readers for free. If you are interested, please send a check
 or money order for $4.00 (to cover postage and handling
 charges; you can pick them up yourself for free if you live
 in the area) written to U.R. Veeramachaneni, and mail to
 UR Veeramachaneni
 807 Heritage Drive
 Mount Prospect, IL 60056.
 Expect 2-3 weeks for delivery.
 Regards.       --- V. Chowdary Jampala
 PS: Some excerpts from the reviews of the Souvenir follow:
 ------
 Pemmaraju Venugopala Rao says in Telugu Jyoti:
 "...Instantly I recognized it as a valuable edition to my
 library... In its form, content, artistic display, editorial
 discretion and the team work that goes with it, this
 souvenir will be the new standard for any future attempts."
 -------
 Vemuri Venkateswara Rao says in TANA Patrika:
 Telugu Paluku, Souvenir of the 10th TANA Conference - A Review
 (TANA Patrika Editor's note: The reviewer, Sri Venkateswara Rao
 Vemuri, a well known writer, was the editor of an earlier volume of
 Telugu Paluku, the souvenir of the 5th TANA Conference at Los Angeles,
 1985.)
 Webster defines "souvenir" as "something kept ... as a
 reminder of a place, an occasion, or a person; keepsake."
 This souvenir is worthy of keeping as a memento. Very few
 published by various Telugu organizations come close to this
 one. Some were good for keeping in a bookshelf. This one? I
 will put this in my living room coffee table.
 Thumbing through the 300 odd pages of the souvenir is like
 sitting in an art appreciation class or  walking through an
 art gallery. The multicolored plates, interspersed
 throughout the book, were followed by explanations about the
 significance or history of that piece.  For the first time,
 I learned about the very existence of well over 30 Telugu
 artists, their works, their media, and about art itself. I
 always wondered why a country that pioneered the art of
 abstract thinking did not bother to bring abstraction to
 art. Finally, this souvenir showed me that modern Telugu
 artists are filling that void. If you have not yet obtained
 a copy, buy one today. If you already have one, do not lend
 it to any.
 Apart from the artwork, the whole souvenir has an artistic
 look. The cover is impressive - front and back for different
 reasons. The organization of pages and arrangement of other
 material is tasteful. The entire volume is organized as six
 bilingual sections.
 The Welcome section (24 pages) contained the usual stuff
 like dedications, messages and committee photos. In the
 Invitees section (30 p) one finds nostalgic articles about
 Telugu culture, mostly in Telugu,  by distinguished people
 from India that were specially invited for the Conference.
 Contributions to New Generations and New Horizons (54 p) are
 primarily in English and dominated by younger writers from
 the U.S. The next section is on Andhra Art (26 p). Two
 Decades (32 p) is nostalgia confined to a recapitulation of
 the progress, or lack thereof, during past two decades. The
 last section, Kaleidoscope (70 p), mostly in Telugu,