Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Our Colonial Masters (Part 4)

 In article ih6@cs.sfu.ca, kulbir@cs.sfu.ca (Kulbir) writes:
 Being Cross Posted from SCPb in several parts after changing the title

 Continued from part 3 *************
 TRANSATLANTIC INDIA TIMES
 15/12/1983
 AN INDEPENDENT STUDY OF HINDU-SIKH CONFLICT IN PUNJAB
 Dr. K. T. Lalvani (London) - S. Raghunath Iyengar (Lagos)
 Chapter 1- Historic Bonds.
 Among the religions of Indian origin, Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh, there is
 perhaps more in common between Hindu and Sikh teachings than any other two
 religions.
 No two religious communities are bound together with numerous bonds as are
 Hindus and Sikhs. Both for instance firmly believe in Karma, re-birth and Mukti
 (MOKSHA). Although Sikhism has rejected the Hindu pantheon of gods and
 goddesses, caste system and ritualism, yet Sikhs have always defended, at times
 with their blood, Hindu rituals, their preferences and prejudices. Guru Teg
 Bahadur's unparalleled sacrifice of his head to protect the sacred thread and
 the forehead mark of the Hindus is inscribed in the psyche and history of both
 communities. Sikhs may not have worshipped the cow yet treated it as no less
 than a sacred animal. Many Sikhs lost their lives in opposing the British
 reintroduction of cow slaughter in Amritsar in late 19th century. Maharaja
 Ranjit Singh went on record for having banned cow slaughter not only in Punjab
 but even ordered its ban in the Islamic land of Afghanistan, and he asked for
 and secured the return of the doors of Hindu Somnath temple, looted eight
 centuries earlier by Muhamud of Gazni. The same Sikh Maharaja gifted six
 quintals of gold for the Hindu temples of Benares, golden canopies for
 Jawalamukhi and Kangra temples and financed the repairs of the Vishwanath
 temple and its jewel-studded icon. To rescue a Brahmin's daughter, Sikhs fought
 a bitter battle with the Nawab of Kasur when over 500 Sikhs lost their lives.
 Sikh sacrifices for the oppressed have few parallels in history. The
 universally applicable scriptures of the Sikhs, 'Adi Granth' incorporates hymns
 of sufis and saints from Islam and Hinduism regardless of caste and creed. All
 the names, sacred to Hindus (Ram, Hari, Govind, Gopal, Thakur, Prabhu, Ishwar,
 Siva, Brahma, Indra) are repeated in Adi Granth time and again. Guru Gobind
 Singh, the founder of Khalsa wrote epics of Ramayana and Mahabharat under the
 titles of Ramavtar and Krishnavtar. His eulogising the exploits of Chandi as a
 warrior (not as a goddess) is well known.
 Chapter 2 - Concern in Indian Society
 There is indeed a lot in common between the two religions and it is not very
 uncommon to see that one brother may be a Hindu and the other a Sikh, living in
 the same house and respecting each other's religion. I for example, a Sindhi,
 following (like most other Sindhis do) Guru Nanak's traditional humble
 teachings for their simplicity in his message of truth and love embedded in his
 devotional hymns incorporated in the Sikh Adi Granth.
 We, the overseas Indian citizens, Sindhis, Sikhs and other Hindus alike, are
 indeed most disturbed and concerned at the present Hindu-Sikh tension in Punjab
 and Haryana and feel the need to probe the reasons which have led to the
 prevailing conditions of mistrust, hate, jealousy and rivalry between the two
 communities in comparison with their brotherly relationship in the past and its
 scope in the future. Accordingly, I, on behalf of the Indian Merchant
 Association, U.K. and Mr. S. R. Iyengar, formerly a journalist and now an
 industrialist in Lagos, Nigeria, left for a preliminary study to report back
 our findings to various U.K. Associations. We prepared this report after
 spending considerable time in verifying the facts behind the complaints which
 we heard.
 After arriving in India, we spent some days in Amritsar and Jullunder meeting
 various leaders, including Sant Bindranwale and Sant Langowal. There was total

with word 'help' in message body                    netnews@sift.stanford.edu