Previous Next Index Thread

Miandad and Indian XI: An inpiring example

 Because of what it says about the real meaning of cricket, I am re-posting an abbreviated version of this article.
 Indian and Pakistanis, please read. It might teach us all something about spirit, attitudes, or will it? One hopes.
 "by Vijay Lokapally : June 19, 1996
 The  concern  for Indian cricket is widespread and  the  evidence
 came at Lord's when a galaxy of sportsmen descended to watch  the
 Indian  team's `nets' session two days before the second Test  of
 the Cornhill series.
 A former Pakistan captain, a former West Indies captain, a former
 India captain and manager and a squash great lent glamour to  the
 training  session, much to the embarrassment of the  Indians  who
 have done little to redeem their reputation on the tour thus far,
 losing to the national team, and a county squad.
 Javed  Miandad, Vivian Richards, Ajit Wadekar and  Jahangir  Khan
 were  in the focus even as the Indian cricketers went  through  a
 professional  `nets'  session one thought, what with a  horde  of
 left-arm  seamers  from the Middlesex colts team bowling  to  the
 Indians.
 Miandad's was a splendid gesture. No one had invited him to  come
 and  talk  to  the Indians who have struggled to  cope  with  the
 exacting   conditions   in   England   that   require   technical
 adjustments.  Miandad,  who  is  here on  a  private  visit  with
 Jahangir  and  Richards, felt he could contribute  to  an  Indian
 recovery  if  he could talk to some of the young batsmen  on  the
 requirements in England.
 Why did he come to talk to the Indians? Miandad looked perplexed.
 ``Is  there anything wrong in what I have done? I am a  Pakistani
 but  that does not mean I am not a sportsman. Listen, I am not  a
 politician  and I don't know anything about the politics. I  have
 regard for the Indian cricketers and I respect Indian cricket and
 that  is  why I have come to talk to them,'' he said  in  a  firm
 tone.
 Miandad, a character you would hate to face on the cricket field,
 is  such  a humble person, a total contrast of his image  on  the
 field,  when you meet him off it. ``We (India and Pakistan)  have
 our  sporting  battles but that does not mean we can't  meet  and
 talk to each other. Our culture and language are similar. We have
 so  many  things  in common. Let our battles  be  fought  on  the
 cricket  field and not off it. Who has time to think about  petty
 things in life? Let us work together and work for a better future
 than  fight over trivial matters. How I wish India  and  Pakistan
 could  work  together  and  make life  difficult  for  the  other
 nations.  Imagine,  having a combined  India-Pakistan  team.  Who
 would stand up to such a combination?'' Miandad certainly did not
 sound a street-smart cricketer.
 Miandad is a man of vision. As he admitted once, he did not learn
 cricket in the womb, but worked hard to become one of the legends
 of  the game. Today, having quit the game after the  Wills  World
 Cup,  he  goes around doing charity work, helping the  needy  and
 those who approach him. He is rich in every term  monetary and at
 heart.
 It  was a sight to watch Miandad surrounded by the young  brigade
 Jadeja,  Rathore, Mongia and Dravid. Manjrekar,  still  uncertain
 for the Test because of his sprained ankle, too, joined in later.
 The  master  spoke  and the pupils listened in  awe.  There  were
 technical  tips and some philosophical. Miandad was the  cynosure
 and  the great Pakistani seemed to relish every moment of it,  as
 did the Indians.
 Miandad,  who showed genuine concern at India's struggle in  this