Spent Mushroom Compost

Eng-Leong Foo wrote:
>=20
> Thank you very much for the info on aging time needed and nutrient =
flow for compost (in general) in soil and the interesting phenomenon of =
slow release over the years. In an integrated system where mushrooms are =
grown (e.g. using bran, brewery spent grain and saw dust), I believe =
that one or more food chain steps could be used before going for =
composting. This way we could get one or more products/uses before =
getting a compost. The options are: (a) grow earthworms (b) feed the =
spent substrate to
>=20
> Could someone who might have some experience, comment on these options =
 ?
>=20
> Are there any literature references (specific for mushroom spent =
substrate) that looked at the nutrient flows from spent substrate to =
e.g. earthworms (during vermicompost), ruminants and compost?

Hi Jackie,

The best technical report on earthworm culture I am aware of is =
"Earthworms in Environmental and Waste Management" by Drs. Clive Edwards =
and Ed Neuhauser 1988 SBP Publishers, The Hauge, Netherlands.  In it are =
numerous scientific papers on the subjects of vermiculture, =
vermistabilization, and vermicomposting as well as papers on the role of =
earthworms as a protein source and as an indicator of biological =
contamination.  Dr. Edwards is the chair of the Sustainable Agriculture =
Program at The Ohio State University and is also an excellent source for =
information on the role of terrestrial invertebrates in various =
ecosystems.

His best example of an integrated biosystem was of a site he visited in =
the Phillippines in the mid 1980s while researching the earthworm =
perionyx excavatus which is native, I believe, to the islands there.  He =
visited a farm that was on a hill where discarded food products from a =
city were fed to pigs; the pig manure was washed downhill to earthworm =
beds after which the surplus worms were fed to geese that lived in a =
pond where the liquid run-off was captured that also fed water plants =
that fed ducks.  The worm castings were harvested into intensive gardens =
and the final water was discharged into rice paddies that also grew =
carp.

Regarding spent mushroom compost as an earthworm feed, my experience =
based on working nine years at a mushroom farm in Colorado was that the =
mushrooms were direct competitors with the worms for nutrients and that =

[27 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=04_1997&mid=4353378&hilit=CULTURE+FUTURES> ]

Subject: The Dramatic Vision of August Wilson