Previous Next Index Thread

MEME - Mother of All Surreal Debates

Sent from: cubensis@well.com (John Bagby)

Last night, while watching Colorado Public Television, my roommate
and I came upon a program that has now usurped, in my mind, the 1992
Vice-Presidential debate as the Mother of All Surreal Debates.

The program was a special PBS broadcast of "William F. Buckley's
Firing Line" in the format of a dense, intelligent, surreal, two-hour
debate on the recent signing of the Communications Decency Act.

Debate teams were comprised of the EFF's Barlow/Dyson and the ACLU's
Ira Glasser versus the infamous Buckley and the truly evil Arianna
Huffington (and geek-pundit pals).

The debate is moderated by Michael Kinsley of CNN's Crossfire.

My own favorite bits of surreal brilliance included:

        * Buckley vs. Barlow (one-on-one)
        * Any words that Arianna Huffington uttered
        * Whenever Buckley moved.  The man is an alien.
        * Moderator Michael Kinsley's bizzare, reactionary facial expressions

This debate is a goddamn classic.  You can get tapes for $50 from
Firing Line, or better yet, don't give them your money and dub a
friend's.

        Firing Line  -  "Debate over CDA"
        2700 Cypress Street
        Columbia, SC  29205