Previous Next Index Thread

PHREAK - Netscape builds in telephony.

Sent from: CORNWELK@gm1.nigms.nih.gov (Cornwell, Kay)

> COOLUM, AUSTRALIA, 1996 MAR 13 (NB) -- Netscape Communications within six
> months will build voice software for making low-cost long distance calls
> via the Internet into its Navigator program, the company's co-founder and
> vice president of technology, Marc Andreesen, said at a technical forum

<SNIP>

He predicted phone companies would find much of their equipment
"rapidly becoming useless".

Interesting thing to say, considering that for MOST of us phone
equipment is our only means by which to connect to the net. I
don't see cable modems for sale, ISDN is a phone company service.
Useless? Not anytime soon.

Kay
kc5@nih.gov
alisonplays@msn.com

[ mod's note: i agree that cable modems have a lot of problems, and
  i personally *abhor* ever taking sides with Andreesen or even giving
  him press, but at this point the cost/tariff structures associated
  with "long-distance" service are a fiction imposed by governments,
  fueled by enormous lobbying monies. AT&T used to strong-arm employees
  into pay-check withholding contributions to their lobbying PAC to
  help pay for this, when i worked there eight years back. sure, the
  local/central office-based equipment for switching calls remain vital,
  and *some* kind of lines need to carry packets over long hauls, but
  there's a whole lotta new space-heater technology available from
  ATT/NT/NTT/BT/etc. once netelephony takes off...that's just one former
  Bell-Labbies' opinion; what does the rest of the list think? - pxn ]