Previous Next Index Thread

MEME - Sheep and White Power

Sent from: glenn5@mindspring.com (Glenn V. Morrison)

>>Subject: URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!
>>A group of neo-nazis are trying to form a newsgroup on Usenet called
>>rec.music.white-power, so that they can get their message of hate out to
>>young people using the Internet.  Newsgroups are public discussion areas
>>on the Internet and their formation requires enough support from the
>>Internet community.
>>
>>EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HAS ONE VOTE when it comes to creating a
>>new Usenet group. I hope you will vote NO and thereby tell these Nazis you
>>don't want their stuff on the net. Below is the procedure, please repost

I'm shocked, I mean really aghast, that someone who reads this list could
make such a blatant call for censorship.  I knew nothing about this issue
before I read this message here, but now I most definitely will vote, and
vote YES.  Here's why:

1)  The Internet has always been about free and unfettered speech, the CDA
notwithstanding.  There are many groups on Usenet that I care nothing
about, or which I find offensive, but never in a million years would I try
to claim they have less right to exist than the ones I enjoy reading.

2)  Nazis exist, whether I like them or not.  If they have a place to voice
their opinions openly, I can learn more about them and learn better how to
oppose them or change their minds.  At the very least, I'd know who they
are, and that seems much more useful to me than burying my head in the sand
and pretending the world is perfect.

3)  Rec.music.white-power is going to be so flooded with spam and trolls
that I doubt it will be of much use for its chartered purpose anyway.

Fight censorship!  Don't be part of the problem!

Glenn V. Morrison (Glenn Five)
glenn5@mindspring.com, glenn5@cis.compuserve.com
7106 Trolley Square Crossing, Atlanta, GA 30306
(404) 874-1015
HTTP://www.mindspring.com/~glenn5/home.html