Previous Next Index Thread

MEME - Sheep and White Power

Sent from: chris@ego.psych.mcgill.ca (Chris Westbury)

I was intrigued to find that the creation of newsgroups is seen as a
free-speech issue. I must admit that I (who forwarded the item to
the fringeware list) had not thought of it that way, although perhaps
that it is a correct viewpoint. The idea that voting against the creation
of a newsgroup amounts to an infringement of the right to free speech is
clearly equivalent to saying that there should be no vote on the creation
of news groups. If you believe that it is immoral (or, rather, a
straight-forward violation of a constitutionally-guaranteed
right, and so: illegal) to vote against the creation of a newsgroup, then
the vote is not just a formality which can be done away with, but an
actual incitement to right violation. The free speech argument
apparently implies that anyone who wants to start a news group MUST be
allowed to.

My question, then, is: Why IS there a vote for the creation of
newsgroups? Does anyone know?

I am just wondering if this issue is really as straight-forward as the
recent posts have made it out to be.

				Chris