Previous Next Index Thread

PULP - Dirty Desires

Sent from: Dwebb9@aol.com (Don Webb)

Dear Friends,

Mark said to pass this around.  By the way I've
got a story in _Dirty Desires_  -- a touching
tale of love and sodomy.

Best,

Don

Alt-X is proud to announce the publication of our new anthology of
digital writing called _Dirty Desires_.  There's a direct link on the
homepage or you can point your browser to http://www.altx.com/dd/

Also, here's a sneak preview of my next Amerika Online column.  It was
recently published in Providence, RI's "The Independent" and is
circulating around college campuses all around the country.  Please feel
free to pass it on (and for those of you with university affiliations, to
send it to your college newspaper editors for print publication).

 _____

Are You Indecent?
by Mark Amerika

People used to tell the comedian Lenny Bruce that he had a dirty word
problem.  Bruce's brilliant dark comedy stretched the boundaries of what
was permissible in the art of comedy and he used the various slangs he
grew up with to inform his ultra-cool shtick.  These slangs included
Yiddish, Vaudeville-speak from the Borscht Belt, and yes, dirty words.
Like most people growing up in America, I imagine he must have picked up
his understanding of the many uses of dirty words from his elders.
	My own father was a big Lenny Bruce fan.  He had all of his
albums.  And when I was teenager in the seventies, the new comedians on
the block, like George Carlin and Richard Pryor, were building their own
outrageous, satirical monologues out of the material put forth by
stand-up comedy artists like Bruce, Mort Sahl, Woody Allen and Paul
Krassner.  I loved George Carlin and I'll never forget how hip it was
that my Dad took me to one of his concerts for my 15th birthday.
	Carlin is notorious for having created his "Seven Dirty Words You
Can't Say On Television" routine.  I used to recite Carlin's hilarious
bit like a mantra.  Walking to school or hanging out with friends, I'd
share my Carlin impression with anyone who would listen:  "shit, piss,
fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits, yeahhhhh..."  For an
adolescent writer just learning the power of words, it was a way of
coming to terms with a core value sponsored by our American forefathers,
something called The First Amendment.
	It was only later that I started paying attention to other
writers whose freely-expressed art form was called literature:  Joyce,
Miller, Burroughs, Ginsberg et al, these writers, like the comedians
mentioned above, set the groundwork for a more flexible compositional
environment for those who came after them.  No longer would we have to
pretend that certain words or sex acts were off-limits.  All of our
experience was now open to aesthetic rendering.  Case after case, the
U.S. Supreme Court told the American public that it was a-okay for
writers to create their literary art and, once it was published, to
distribute it to their public.  Landmark decisions emphasized how
necessary it was for our democracy to support the right of a Nabakov to
create an important novel like Lolita or for a Terry Southern to crank up
the distortion pedal and riff on the ever-empathetic character named
Candy.
	There's a reason why the visionaries who developed the Bill of
Rights made the First Amendment so concise and explicit in its support
for free expression, why they started that very first bill with the words

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It was to save democracy in times of loony-tune extremism.  Like the kind
of extremism we're experiencing today, one that comes at us from all
sides of the political spectrum whether it be gun-toting, welfare-bashing
right-to-lifers, dumber-than-dumb pseudo-moralists or wigged out
separatists who insist that any animal with a penis attached to it is a
machine carrying a loaded weapon.  Don't forget, it was a Democratic
Senator from Nebraska who wrote the new Communications Decency Act into
the recently passed telecommunications bill and it was the Clinton-Gore
techno-compromisers who signed the bill into law.
	I have a problem with the new censorship law being overwhelmingly
supported by our so-called democratic leaders (414 to 16 in the House and
91 to 5 in the Senate).  And it's not necessarily a dirty word problem,
though I'm tempted to say "fuck them all for trying."  My problem is
personal.  You see, I'm an electronic publisher and writer, someone whose
web site, Alt-X [http://www.altx.com], gets over 400,000 hits a month and
who publishes voices both known and unknown.  On my web site you'll hear
the voices of Allen Ginsberg, Paul Krassner, Terry Southern and soon,
William Burroughs and Henry Miller.  But you'll also hear the voices of
younger writers whose literary works are at risk of being censored
according to the vaguely termed "indecent" portion of the telecom bill,
writers like Eurudice, Bruce Benderson, Matt Fuller, Susan Shapiro, Kathy
Acker, Bayard Johnson and Ricardo Cortez Cruz who, writing about the
experience of black youth on the streets of L.A. and Harlem is, after
all, only trying to be true to his artistic method.
	So when I woke up on Friday, February 2nd, and saw the big
headline on the front page of the New York Times telling me that I was
now being considered a criminal in my own country because I was actively
practicing my rights as a native son to freely express myself as
guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution, I was really pissed off.  I think I
even mumbled a few dirty words to myself.  And I vowed to fight the
unconstitutionality of the new bill tooth and nail, down to the very last
bit.
	Fortunately, I'm not the only one fighting this ugly piece of
legislation.  To see the court challenge being issued by the American
Civil Liberties Union, check out http://www.aclu.org/court/cdacom.html
and be sure to look into the work being done by the Electronic Frontier
Foundation [http://www.eff.org/], The Center for Democracy and Technology
[http://www.cdt.org/], and Voters Telecommunications Watch
[http://www.vtw.org/].
	In celebration of our Freedom To Write here in America, and to
take advantage of the new distribution paradigm allowed us on behalf of
the World Wide Web, I hereby invite everybody to visit the Alt-X site and
see our new anthology of sexy, provocative, sometimes offensive,
electronic literature.  The new anthology is called DIRTY DESIRES.

_______
Mark Amerika is the author of many books including The Kafka Chronicles
and Sexual Blood.  He is the Director of the Alt-X publishing network.