Previous Next Index Thread

CORRECTION - to CDA article

Sent from: shaunc@faceplant.gvg.TEK.COM ()

Tabloid reporters were flabbergasted when ehill@world.std.com (ed hill) wrote:

> what if some of "us" start sending 'em a few bucks come election time to let
> them know that we have more than hot air to fight with?

I like this idea; I'd especially like to back Leahy (D-VT) but I'm not
in his jurisdiction.  Is that a legal problem?  If not, someone please post
where to send political donations to the list!

By the way, are campaign donations tax-deductible in the USA?

> we can email each other all we want or chase through the halls 'o' justice
> with rits 'n' rickets. but rights in this culture are a commodity. we've
> gotta pay for them. we need to buy some space while the net grows. it has to
> be made politically painful to attack the net. wish it weren't so, but
> all the talk in the world won't help if we don't back these people up with
> hard cash.
>
> any ideas for getting together on this?

Is there someone we can trust to set up a PAC?  I wouldn't really expect
people to trust me, for example, since I don't have a high net.profile; I
might trust Fringeware, and I'd definitely trust the EFF and I'd happily
dump money into a PAC managed by Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility.

With so many well-paid engineers, programmers, etc. on the Internet, it
seems like we should be able to give the televangelists (who slurp up
college education funds like candy and thereby perpetuate ignorance) a run
for their money--literally.

@Man
--
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight, he will
fight--that leaders will not surrender until surrender is academic.

----
> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 17:17:00 -0500
> Sent-from: Julie Hadden <julie@musicpen.com>

bake sale?

----
> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 20:36:28 -0500 (EST)
> Sent-from: "J. Lasser" <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>

I hafta say... the $$$ we can afford, as a group, to buy off senators and
representatives is *nothing* compared to what the traditional media (who,
according to at least one cogent and coherent theory I've heard) is
partially funding this. The other funding group is the Religious Right,
who are greater in number than those of us online, and they march
lockstep; we don't.

In short, congresscritters who vote for us are informed and voting with
their consciences; congresscritters who vote against us are mostly
ignorant, and either voting with their pockets or a moral sense money
can't shake.

Education, not bribery, is a tactic we should adopt.  Hold "Teach-Ins"
for senators?  Why not?

Jon
----------
Jon Lasser (410)494-3072                         - Obscenity  is a crutch  for
jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu                            inarticulate motherfuckers.
http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
Finger for PGP key (1024/EC001E4D)               - Fuck the CDA.

----
> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 96 19:28:48 -0800
> Sent-from: Terry_Palfrey@mindlink.bc.ca (Terry Palfrey)

Boardwatch had an article about organizing for
political influence in the April/May 1994 issue
by Jim Warren. Boardwatch.com and maybe a web
page by now.

Terry

----
> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 08:31:00 -0800
> Sent-from: gt@twics.com (Gohsuke Takama)

>>                             Senators
>>
>>Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Paul Simon (D-IL), Paul
>>Wellstone (D-MN), Russ Feingold (D-WI), and John McCain (R-AZ).
>>
>Interesting! How come Feinstein voted against the bill? Does anyone have
>guesses?

Gohsuke Takama   gt@twics.com

current location: Tokyo