RE: How does a hearing aid help?How does a hearing aid help?

I wonder if anyone would care to take a shot at this one:
Well I am going to try.  Here we go again.

There are two kinds of deafness--nerve deafness and conductive deafness.
In nerve deafness, the problem is damage within the cochlea, the auditory
nerve or at some higher level. Conductive deafness is due to impairment
before this point, usually in the middle ear. The nerve transmission part
remains ok.

So it would seem that a hearing aid would be useful for conductive
deafness but not nerve deafness, and this is what most elementary
textbooks say. One curious exception is the text I use (Kalat, 1995, p.
240) in which Kalat mentions hearing aids only in reference to nerve
deafness and says that they "can compensate for the loss".
My first opinion was that Kalat had reversed his statements and dismissed
his statement as an error.   But consider this, a viberation of the sounds
your are being exposed to under your forearm will increase hearing.
Most likely due to wavelet entrainment.  So any procedure that helps
with wavelet entraiment should help in principle.  Therefore a hearing
aid would help provide the wavelet signal strengthen to help in the
the hearing process.  Consider the large number of nerves cells going
to the hearing system from the brain.  They are doing something.
I would suggest correlational opponent-processing.

Nevertheless, some knowledgeable sources do say that hearing aids may also
be of value in nerve deafness. For example, Moore (1982) says that "the
condition [of nerve deafness] is usually not completely alleviated by a
hearing aid", which implies that it does help. Of all the sources I've
looked at (physiological psychology textbooks, specialized texts in
hearing), the most detailed statement I've found is in Matlin and Foley
(1992, p. 267-68).

They say "A hearing aid would be useful for people with moderate levels
of conduction deafness" [no problem there]. Then they say "A simple
hearing aid would not help someone with complete nerve deafness, just as
a pair of glasses would not help someone who has a detached retina [my
understanding, also].

But then they say "Furthermore, if some hair cells are intact, a standard
hearing aid can be modified so that it differentially amplifes the
different frequencies" and go on to say "Thus, the design of a hearing
aid for a nerve-deaf person must take care of two problems..."

[45 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=2169845&hilit=BRAIN+FEEDBACK> ]

Subject: Re: Equilibrium and destabilization in evolution (long)